some thumbnails of my illustrations

some thumbnails of my illustrations
Please click on the links below to view my portfolio ........ Images copyright of Carrie Osborne

Thursday 22 December 2011

Holly-King Oak-King, a Solstice Hearth and two little elves...!

A slightly belated Happy Solstice to you all, and I hope the turning of the year brings you good health and happiness!
Our Green Man watching over our hearth is wearing a holly crown in his Holly King guise... perhaps I should hang some pressed oak leaves or acorns there now as traditionally we pass back into the light half of the year and the reign of the Oak King.
I really like this myth in its various forms and have often thought I'd like to re-tell it as a picture book for children... definately a future project I think!


I strayed upon this image below a couple of years ago by an artist called Raven Willowhawk which I really, really like. I haven't been able to track her down to link back to her, but I hope she doesn't mind me sharing it in the spirit of appreciation of such an evocative image and her considerable talent. I just think its a really nice depiction of this myth and it struck a note with me.

By Raven Willowhawk

This also makes me think of the tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which I must find a good translation of to read again. The copy I have is all in Olde English and very hard to decipher! But I love the story and the language full of rich description and symbolisms...


So, I'll leave you now with a couple of very funny videos we did with our little elfin ones which really help to get into the festive spirit!
Hope it puts a smile on your face - it did for us! Take it away Elora and Elswyth...! Hope you enjoy them!

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/AwzsnqeCYJ2jGweYGI5e

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/veW3FXdtWhxGqXIpLjoD

1 comment:

  1. That lovely illustration reminds of what I was trying to say in my 'Christmas blog post'! All the best to you, Carrie, I hope you and yours have a wonderful festive season together!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments, please type away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails